Condemning Authorities

Government Authorities With Eminent Domain Power

In Eminent domain actions, your property may be condemned by any number of governmental agencies for a variety of purposes. One of the most common is the improvement of roadways, whether by widening the roadbed, or by adding new overpasses, bypasses, or flyways. In the case of condemnation for road improvements, the most common condemning authorities are:

  • Expressway Authority
  • Florida Department of Transportation
    • Florida Turnpike Enterprise
  • County Governments
  • City Governments and Townships
  • Metropolitan Transit Authorities (for bus lanes, bus stops, railways)

In the case of roadway improvements, it is often a case of partial taking, and hiring representation is especially important. Although many of us may have a rough sense of what our entire property is worth, very few of us have a basis for judging what a two-foot strip at the end of our yard might be valued at.

In addition, governmental authorities condemn properties for large-scale public works projects, such as new airports, power plants, convention centers, business parks, etc. In these cases, the condemning authorities include:

  • Public Utilities
  • County Governments
  • City Governments and Townships
  • Florida Department of Transportation
  • Federal Government

Depending on the governmental authority you face, different factors may be brought to bear in securing full compensation for your lost property.

If your property has been condemned by any governmental authority, the attorneys at The Florida Property Rights Law Firm will help you understand the condemnation process and claim your rights as a Florida property owner. We’ll fight to help you keep your property and/or ensure that you receive full compensation for your property.

Our condemnation attorneys represent private property and business owners throughout the State of Florida against all governmental authorities. We don’t charge for an initial consultation and, in most cases, the government has to pay your court costs and our attorneys’ fees. Please call or email us today to schedule your initial consultation.

Practice Areas

Contact The Firm